Twenty four hours following the Freetown mudslide on August 14, 2017, TVL leveraged the power of technology to work across 3 continents, 4 timezones, with 4 partner organizations, to put together a relief plan to help prevent a cholera outbreak. Read more to learn how we did this.
The Village Link is a registered 501(c)(3) in San Mateo County, CA. We facilitate economic development and sustainability in underserved communities through entrepreneurship, technology and education. Currently, our pilot project operates in a remote, rural village in Sierra Leone, Golu. With some help from TVL, the villagers in Golu built a community resource center and installed solar panels for electricity. Now, it is ready to house educational resources and offer programs for the residents.
TVL seeks a part time community project coordinator to work this summer. An extended period of volunteerism may also be available. This is a volunteer position.
- Assist TVL directors with the planning and launch of project components;
- Work with TVL directors and partners in Sierra Leone to coordinate logistics;
- Fulfill administrative tasks as directed;
- Assist with the execution of social media marketing channel communications to TVL followers;
- Work remotely; and
- Attend weekly status meetings in person.
- Interest in Africa's development;
- Excellent problem solving skills.
- Able to work independently and collaboratively.
- Excellent english written and oral communication skills.
- Experience in project coordination (during college or work).
- Excellent time management skills.
- Ability to volunteer between 10 - 20 hrs a week.
- Once you have successfully completed your internship at the end of the summer we will evaluate your work and provide feedback and a reference for future employment. In addition, TVL will award a discretionary bonus based on performance.
- Free 1 bedroom rental in Redwood City, CA (if from out of town).
- Experience working on an innovative project that directly affects the community members in a positive way - driving economic and community development through education and entrepreneurship.
- July - August 31 (2015) with the possibility to extend.
- 10 - 20 hrs per week
- Now taking applications
Interested parties can apply to this position at firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject headline: Summer Internship - Volunteer Community Project Coordinator.